MGMWERX Library Challenge
Automate key and routine Air University Library (AUL) services and operations using Augmented Reality (AR) combined with AUL’s Integrated Library System (ILS).
Objective: Automate key and routine Air University Library (AUL) services and operations using Augmented Reality (AR) combined with AUL’s Integrated Library System (ILS). This is intended to facilitate routine customer requests and access at their immediate point of need, and redirect work priorities for AUL staff. Interoperability of AR with the ILS provides an option for users to become more self-reliant and self-directed using personal smartphones and other technology platforms as an alternative to relying on Library equipment, facilities, and staff.
Who Should Participate?
Software engineers and developers involved in library, logistics, the fields of AI and AR or systems automation involving the rapid retrieval of multiple sources, in various platforms of inter-operable information, as well as anyone who has ever used a library and has an innovative idea for using emerging technologies to enhance a library user’s experience and effectiveness.
How You Can Participate:
- Review challenge objectives and specifications
- Review evaluation criteria
- Develop a white paper to outlining an approach that meets requirements
- Submit the concept white paper describing your solution
– There is no minimum/maximum page count for this submission
– Participants are to provide their technology concept in the format best suited to convey the information as clearly and succinctly as possible
We need your innovative solutions!
The growing sophistication of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Augmented Reality (AR) technologies offers tremendous opportunities to more effectively handle the digital explosion of data and information that confronts us all today.
What are some of the specific areas that a solution must address?
Solutions should be very accessible to enhance and advance the patron’s experience. Moreover, they should contain both simple and complex way-pointing. For example, search results could display in device, steering users to a specific item or area and aiding in navigation by triggering images, virtual maps, and/or geo-location, activating 3-D digital object overlays; also displaying items related to the materials or subjects users are seeking. Finally, the solution should support refined identification displaying detailed information for staff uses such as shelf-reading, allowing for better circulation inventory control, identifying gaps, and miss-shelved items.
Data challenges for automated ILS production:
- The ILS is currently on an Air Force server and has Application Programming Interface (API) capacity. The ILS may eventually transition to a commercial cloud-based system which would also have an API.
- Installing programs on an Air Force server will necessarily increase the prototyping timeline as Air Force DFARS systems testing requires several layers of product review to determine security and applicability constraints.
Please provide a concept paper describing your solution. There is no minimum/maximum page count for this submission. Contributors are to provide their technology concept in the format best suited to convey the information as clearly and succinctly as possible.
How long is the Challenge, what is the Challenge process, and what’s next?
- Posting a Solution: Solutions can be submitted between the start and end dates published below. Late solutions will not be allowed and only solutions submitted on the Challenge submission site will be accepted for consideration. The submission platform requires a written summary of your concept, which will be visible or “open” to any registered user of the submission platform. There is a provision to upload your White Paper to a location that is only visible to the USAF customer and MGMWERX. No information that is declared to be proprietary information will be made public, unless posted in a public field on the submission form.
- Solutions Phase Start: 7/02/2019 @ 11:00 AM CST
- Solutions Phase End: 8/04/2019 @ 11:59 PM CST
- USAF Review, Selection, and Invitation: During this phase, a team of USAF customers will review solution proposals. The top solution(s) meeting the specified requirements will be invited to participate in a design sprint phase beginning in late August 2019.
- Selection Phase Start: 8/08/2019
- Selection Phase End: 8/14/2019
- Design Sprint: During this phase, invited solution providers will participate in a design workshop to refine the product specifications. Competitors will have the opportunity to refine their design, based on revised specifications, and at the end of this phase, will pitch their updated design. The deliverable at this stage is a shell of the software product to demonstrate the look and feel of the anticipated product, along with a detailed White Paper to thoroughly describe the planned features of the design. At the end of this Design Sprint phase, the USAF customer team will review the updated designs and select a single provider to develop the prototype.
- Design Sprint Phase Start: 8/26/2019
- Design Sprint Phase End: 9/13/2019
- Prototype Generation Phase: During this phase, the selected vendor will be compensated to create the prototype of the Atmospherics Generator.
- Prototype Generation Phase Start: 9/16/2019
- Prototype Generation Phase Start: 11/08/2019
Some government contracting terms and conditions
- Announcement of MGMWERX events that are considered to have high potential for further actions that may be accomplished via FAR-based contracting instruments, Other Transactional Authority for Prototype Projects per 10 USC 2371b, prizes for advanced technology achievement per 10 USC 2374a, and/or prize competitions per 15 USC 3719, may be made at the MGMWERX Challenge website.
- All announcements made at the MGMWERX Challenge website are considered to satisfy the reasonable effort to obtain competition in accordance with 10 USC 2374a(b), 15 USC 3719(e) and 10 USC 2371b(b)(2).
- All FAR-based actions will follow announcement procedures per FAR 5.201(b).
You got questions, we have answers.
Read the answer to questions, or post a new one.